£60-80,000 plus exceptional package.
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a true market leading, massively entrepreneurial retail group – one of the true business success stories in the UK and highest growth businesses in Europe. Barely 7 years old, their annual sales are already nudging £150m. Known for innovative offerings and a very consumer-centric product range, this is the epitome of a new generation of retailers that has wholly embraced the digital economy and gained massive success in doing so.
As the business continues to dominate and ground-break, the quest for similarly class-defining talent become key. Critical to that ongoing and accelerating success is the appointment of a Commercial Trading Manager to look after the UK and emerging international markets.
Investment in both People and Technology has been at the centre of this Group’s success since it’s inception along with massive entrepreneurial drive. From customer facing interfaces to the commercial, operational and logistical network behind it, the group has seen its investment set them up for a bright future and maximize its customer service, exceeding customer expectations, all whilst operating with financial stability, commercial performance and a debt-free structure that is the envy of their market. But they never wish to rest on their laurels with an aggressive continuous development programme already underway.
The business is performing well but there is a significant opportunity to further drive profitable market expansion (and sales) in their key market. The UK alone accounts for almost three-quarters of the group’s turnover. Introducing a highly commercial, trading leader into this business will see its performance grow yet further.
Reporting to the UK-based Marketing & Trading Director, this role will will be responsible for driving business and product sales & margin performance, plus taking control of development of territory strategy, localised activity and delivery of the ambitious commercial targets.
The scope and responsibilities for this key appointment are truly group wide. Key stakeholders into the role include:
Driving relationships and influencing these critical functions within the business will be vital in making this role a success. The appointee will own the UK business, already a £100m business and growing. Ensuring top-line sales whilst protecting margin (and minimising promotions) will be the primary focus. Using the levers at your disposal, you will have the single biggest influence on the market, commercial and financial performance of this business.
In a nutshell… The leader of the development of eCommerce sales.
- Entrepreneurial role focused on driving sales growth through developing partnerships and relationships with all internal stakeholders.
- P&L accountability.
- To meet both quarterly and annual sales and margin targets.
- To develop and deliver on opportunities for the business in the UK (and ROW) marketplaces.
- Develop and deliver an annual business plan including revenue and margin forecasts and win/loss reports that illustrate overall predicted performance and feed into the company’s budgeting process.
- Driving market analysis and devising strategies for generating new business.
- Lead a culture that develops an entrepreneurial and innovative approach to growing our business in the UK/ROW territory by focusing on delivering growth to the main business levers
Key Performance Indicators for the role
- Margin – (i.e. achieved margin, after buyer/marketing/promotion)
Key Result Areas
- To provide thought leadership, drive, and momentum for the development of the business in the key marketplaces.
- To work closely and effectively with other departments.
- Meet annual sales and profit targets within agreed Budget levels.
- Meeting key performance indicators including sales, and quantum (cash) margin.
- Working with stakeholders, make recommendations for range innovation and diversification.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties as requested by the company.
- Work closely with the Commercial Finance Director to define, develop and implement the commercial strategy for the UK/ROW territory in line with business goals.
- Accountable for the delivery of commercial KPIs, including customer volumes, web conversion and AOV.
- Accountable for localised trading events & promotional activity, including strategy, planning, execution and business briefing.
- Responsible for territory pricing / FX rate and promotional strategy to maximise local economy, markets and events.
- Accountable for driving the operational proposition and promotions, including delivery and payment providers.
- Influence the eCommerce development roadmap to meet the needs of the local business and market.
- Create the strategy for new and emerging channels in the UK and International territories that will enhance the commercial performance of the US business.
- Communicating relevant performance insights, analysis and information on the territory to the Exec team.
- Direct and manage internal and external teams as well as external agencies.
- Proven sector experience within a fast-paced/high-energy sector such as commodity product/fashion/luxury consumables.
- Minimum 5 years Commercial experience in a commercial Trading and/or International role or ecommerce business.
- A self-starter with exceptional entrepreneurial skills with the ability to drive and motivate performance and a track-record of delivering and developing new/multiple markets.
- A career-hungry retail/eCommerce professional. This role could be a trainee Country Managing Director for the right person.
- A hard-working ‘self-starter’/ completer finisher.
- Understanding and adept ability to deliver marketing strategies and plans.
- Strong numeracy skills ranging from interpretation of retail data to management accounts and budgeting.
- Highly organised with the ability to adapt quickly to strategic change
- Exceptional communicator.
- Self-confident and mature individual who will be able to establish and sustain strong working relationships with the Management Team; the Trading, Marketing, eCommerce Operations, Finance Teams, and Department Managers.
- A dynamic and persuasive individual who can inspire and influence others.
- Ability to identify areas of change, recommend future actions and manage implementation.
- Project management skills with an ability to see things through to completion in a challenging environment.
- A strong commitment to align the business operation with the customers’ needs.
- A positive, ‘can do’ approach, one that wants to test new things and seeks continual improvement.
- Ability to balance the needs of commercial performance with the ethos of the organisation
- Highly adaptable and pragmatic but able to ‘stand their ground’ effectively and professionally when required
- Gets involved and gets things done. Although the individual will have a team (8 strong), this is a hands-on role in a hands-on organisation. There are very few ‘committees’ and no hiding places
- High levels of energy and enthusiasm, but able to remain calm and focused in a pressurised situation
- Innovation and Flair. They want to do things differently, and better. More of the same is not what they are about.
- No ego. This is a customer and results focused business where the individual will be one part of a critical team and can expect high levels of both challenge and support on all aspects of their remit. If you want to ‘tell us what to do because you are the expert’ then this is not the role for you….you will demonstrate why you are the expert through your actions. Your rewards for doing so will be limitless.
For further information on this exciting role, please email Gary Chaplin or complete the below form: