Innovative Service Business
c£80-100,000 plus exec package
This is an outstanding career opportunity for an experienced Finance Leader to join a high growth, innovative, entrepreneurial outsourcing service business in a key influential role.
Founded by the current management team 10 years ago, the business has grown from strength to strength, carving out their own niche within a high growth market place, whilst retaining their entrepreneurial and highly innovative vision; constantly evolving their product offering, customer proposition and target market.
With turnover now at £40m and their headcount surpassing 100, they have a clear purpose and vision to strategically deliver ambitious growth over the next 3 years.
A key element to that growth, strategic vision, entrepreneurial drive and market-positioning is the recruitment of a highly commercial Finance Director.
Based within the North-West Head Office, the Finance Director will quickly become a key member of the board and senior leadership team.
A highly commercial, board level appointment, the Finance Director will have responsibility for all finance and commercial matters across this impressive, highly people-centric business.
The role as Finance Director is an outstanding opportunity to not only take a key role in an exciting entrepreneurial business, but one that offers the chance to sit at the commercial heart of the business’s performance.
The main focus of the Finance Department is to provide financial management to the business. This includes financial accounting, financial controls, credit control, P&L and cashflow forecasting, cashflow reporting and analysis.
The Finance Director assumes overall control and accountability for all financial aspects of company strategy and delivery, taking responsibility for the planning, implementation and control of all financial related activities for the business.
They will be fully accountable for all financial activity and tracking of the company strategy including communication and delivery for both finance and non-finance professionals, as well as input on investment appraisals, commercial initiatives, and the delivery of the broader strategy to deliver ongoing stated organic growth, and as part of the senior leadership team the FD is expected to demonstrate both a strategic and an operational mindset.
They will lead the finance function through a small team, the coaching, development and mentoring of whom will be of key importance, through the provision of learning and training opportunities that support development, retention and refinement of necessary skills, knowledge and expertise. As a senior director however, their input across all employees will be significant.
They will promote commercial understanding and develop initiatives to positively impact financial and commercial performance and will seek to re-engineer existing practices to eliminate low or no value activities, ensuring efficient work flows.
This is a strategic leadership role, not just financial management. This is a very fast-paced, high-change, customer focused business. Responding to that pace and focus and driving it, is a critical function of the Finance Function. The Finance Director will work exceptionally closely with the entrepreneurial board in providing ideation, energy and dynamic leadership to ensure maximum efficiency and effectiveness of all processes, refining and re-designing where necessary; crucially whilst seeking to gain commercial advantage.
Understanding and successfully managing the broader commercial and finance functions will be vital for the long-term success of both the role and the business – not only in helping to ensure the business continues on its commercial trajectory, but also to ensure the values, mission and vision of the organisation as it continues to be at the forefront of decision-making and strategy, along with resolute customer service and satisfaction. Strategic and operational intelligence will be critical, as will a natural solution finding demeanour.
Maximising the Financial and Commercial performance of the business will be the primary task for the Finance Director, driving the best route to high growth and continued success.
Team engagement, development, leadership and inspiration are critical aspects of this role. Quality of the human resource is high across the group through operational, strategic and above all, personal leadership input and direction. The business has a strong ‘team’ ethos and culture, and sits as a very employee engaged business. This role will be critical to that reputation as the business continues to grow.
The Finance Director will be one of the most influential people, and personalities within the business.
- Lead and nurture the Finance team, working closely with the directors, managers and team leaders
- Develop, challenge and motivate the Finance team to ensure the success of the department
- Work with and through the team to deliver an excellent service to the business
- Display leadership credentials through both execution of role and general conduct
- Responsible as an Executive for the management of the business
- Responsible as a Board member for the overall direction and strategy
- Be accountable for delivery against the corporate, Finance team’s and the individual
- Lead by example, promoting the values and culture at every opportunity
Financial and Operational Aspects
- Provide strategic and operational financial leadership
- Ensure that company financial systems are robust, compliant and support current activities and future growth
- Produce statutory accounts in accordance with UKGAAP
- Ensure there are sound financial internal controls, with supporting risk management processes
- Company Secretarial duties; ensuring all statutory forms are filed within the correct timescales
- Ensuring compliance with involvement in all financial planning, financial accounting and controls
- Primary contact for banks, auditors and other key external partners.
- Management of the annual budgeting process; maintain profit/cash forecasts
- Undertake financial reviews of the performance of the business and operational KPI’s in conjunction with the Executive and the Board
- Developing strategies to improve cash control, profitability and cost efficiencies, balanced with the culture and strategy of the business
- Driving financial management and reporting improvements, using data to drive key decisions
- Provide challenge to the business on its performance
- Corporate finance; manage company policies regarding capital requirements, debt, taxation, equity, disposals and acquisitions, as appropriate.
- Review and revise banking relationships and innovative funding options
- Continually learn and support learning within the Finance team and business, to develop standards in all areas
- Work with all to generate improvements and support the implementation
- Innovate for projects and translate needs into deliverables
- To support the commercial engagement with existing and new partners, to ensure the terms and relationships are optimal and sustainable
- Support the external presence of the organisation in the sector
This is a high profile leadership position as the Director responsible for the business’s Financial and Commercial performance. The appointee will have a proven Finance Leadership (FD) background within a commensurate Service business, preferably with entrepreneurial exposure, leading a dynamic and commercial finance function. They will have experience on sitting within a strategic leadership team.
He/she will possess excellent interpersonal skills, be adept at mixing strategic planning & direction whilst retaining a hands-on capability, possessing strong process management abilities, and be a robust decision-maker and a ‘finisher’. The role involves providing strategic and operational leadership as well as practical support not only to the Commercial and Finance functions, but also to the business as a whole.
The successful candidate will have strong influencing skills and be able to put across his or her ideas and views clearly to both peers, team members and the fellow members of the Board. In addition, he/she will have strong communication skills and be capable of liaising with a broad cross-section of departments, skillsets and capability levels to discuss all matter financial, particularly to assist the compilation of, and adherence to budgets.
The appointee will exude enthusiasm and demonstrate an outstanding work ethic – this is a culture where hard work is expected, celebrated and rewarded. This is not a 9-to-5 job. They will be constantly questioning those above and below them, but more importantly, constantly questioning (and challenging) themselves….
…..but the appointee will have gravitas. It will be immediately obvious to all around them why they have been selected and appointed. They will have the behavioural and technical skills to earn and retain respect. They will be the centre of ideation within the business.
They will inspire not only their department, but everyone within the business. They will be motivating as well as motivated.
Alongside their astute leadership capabilities, they will be an ‘action’ style manager. Their attention to detail will be second to none, and will be contagious. They will never see themselves as ‘too big’ for any task within the department, and will gain huge satisfaction from developing the team in every regard, form and function.
- Senior level leadership experience, including Executive responsibilities. Board level experience would be beneficial
- Experience of running and performing budgeting and forecasting processes in line with business objectives
- Experience of managing financial controls and risk is desired
- Significant experience of working in a technology driven business
- Monthly management accounts experience with deadlines
- Growing and developing senior team members through coaching and providing development opportunities and experience
- Clear evidence of working in a fast paced, busy and environment.
- Some corporate finance exposure is preferred
- Pre-existing banking relationships would be an advantage
- Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA or CIMA)
- Skilled with Sage 200 or similar
- Knowledge of UKGAAP
- Strong commercial acumen and approach
- Conversant with the latest technology trends
- Exposure in a strategic level role able to demonstrate overarching forward thinking
- Strong leader with clear people management and development skills.
- Able to collaborate internally across all levels yet with the individual drive and focus to manage independently when needed
- Manage projects end to end
- Excellent communications skills with a clear presence and ability to influence others successfully and with credibility
- Able to present detailed information succinctly
- Flexible, able to cope with changing business priorities both internally and externally and respond accordingly.
- Tenacious with high volumes of resilience and a sense of humour
- Demonstrates personal energy, drive and resilience
- Demonstrates the desired characteristics and attitude to succeed in the right way
- Able to focus on the key priorities for the company
- Able to provide support to the team to engender the culture, to motivate and inspire to perform to a higher level
- Engages with other senior leaders and peer group and proactively maintains these relationships
- Provides strategic input and ideas to the Board
- Role models the values and behaviours
- Continues own personal development and continuous learning in the role
Or complete the below: