Head of HR – Retail
Entrepreneurial OmniChannel Retail Group
c£70,000 plus exec package
This is an outstanding career opportunity for an experienced HR Professional to join a high growth, innovative, entrepreneurial retail business in a key influential role. This is a trailblazing business, experiencing significant growth through their 200+ high-street store network, plus benchmark-setting eCommerce offering.
A highly commercial appointment, the Head of HR will have responsibility for all Human Resource matters across this impressive people-centric business.
Founded by the current management team almost 30 years ago, the business has grown from strength to strength, carving out their own niche within a high growth market place, whilst retaining their entrepreneurial and highly innovative vision; constantly evolving their product offering, customer proposition and target market.
Based within the North-West Head Office, the Head of HR will quickly become a key member of the Senior Leadership Team. They will commercially connect the business’s prime resource, its people, with the business’s needs and add the human resource dimension to the longer-term development plans. They will also be key in communicating the group vision to the entire business and become the custodian of the business’s culture and personality.
The Head of HR takes responsibility for the business’s most important resource – it’s people. From their inception to the current 200 stores, market leading eCommerce offering, broad-based wholesale business and turnover approached £¼bn , people have been at the core of this impressive business. From recruiting and developing; through to coaching main board directors (current and future), this is a truly strategic leadership appointment and has the chance to be the most influential executive in the business.
Tasked with developing strong, influential, collaborative relationships with all employees whilst adding strategic input to the Senior Leadership Team and driving the ‘people’ aspect of the business’s already impressive growth strategy. The appointee will most definitely sit within the ‘business’, and take a P&L attitude, whilst ensuring people structures, skills and motivations are such that the business will succeed in its aims and commercial objectives.
The appointee will be an experienced Human Resources operator, but this could well be their first ‘Head Of…’ appointment. They will possess the commercial insight to understand the current position of the business whilst appreciating, and being motivated by the ambition for significant growth, cognisant of the challenges implicit in this and the critical importance of having a highly engaged and happy workforce.
Whilst the successful candidate will have a very commercial and strategic outlook, benefitting the business, they are also vital to ensuring successful day to day operations within their partnership functions, and to ensure full engagement with every person in the business. The role will be hands-on and thus a detailed understanding of the entire HR remit will be essential whilst ensuring the team remain engaged, appreciated and motivated with both short and long term objectives understood and attained.
- Cultural leadership
- SME employer of choice
- Engaged, motivated workforce
- Visible liquid talent pool
- Embedded Competency Framework into every daily activity
- Develop and deliver the Group People strategy in line with wider business objectives
- Build and develop relationships with stakeholders across the Group at all levels to provide support, guidance and challenge where appropriate on all HR related matters
- Drive continuous improvements by developing and managing the delivery of specific HR projects, policies and processes in line with business requirements
- Devise and execute a solid retention plan to reduce employee turnover and retain top performers
- Drive and increase talent attraction into the Group and raise company profile further via social media and all external contact
- Proactively drive and improve organisational culture and increase levels of people engagement
- Be an ambassador of our vision and values and embody throughout the Group
- Act as senior leader at all times raising the HR profile across the Group
- People metrics – utilise analytics to drive people agenda forward and produce solid and accurate KPIs
- People development – develop and invest in our employees via solid appraisal, succession planning and internal talent spotting. Work with Regional Training Managers and LMS to deliver seamless approach to stores
- Manage complex ER cases across the Group to balance business focused decisions and legal compliance at all times and ensure high risk cases are managed effectively
- Proactively research, conduct benchmarking and present compensation & benefits framework
- Manage, develop and lead the HR team to provide excellent service and deliver results
- Any other duties as and when required.
The appointee will preferably be MCIPD qualified and be able to demonstrate commercial influence and real partnering exposure. They will have a strong track record in not only achieving eye-brow-raising results, but also in driving (and reacting to) change, whilst at all time placing the people strategy and organisational culture at the heart of even the most commercial of decision making.
They will be P&L focused, seeing the people strategy and the vital resource contained within it as being their area of expertise; their lever to deliver the group wide commercial strategies.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Extensive experience working within a senior HR management role
- Solid people management experience and experience of leading a HR function to achieve results
- CIPD Level 7
- Commercial acumen and strategic vision
- Credibility and ability to negotiate
- Up to date knowledge of UK employment law and legislation
- Ability to converse and present at a senior level
- IT literate – excellent working knowledge of word, excel, email, internet
- Flexible, professional, articulate, creative
- Works well under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Proactive, resilient and driven
- Genuine team player at all levels
- Possesses a high level of confidentiality and sensitivity
The Head of HR will be a leader, they will be an influencer and they will be the custodian of the corporate culture, seen as many as the key driver behind the business’s already impressive people focus, and as a result, their impressive growth track record.
For further information, or to apply, please forward a full CV with salary & package details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or complete the below: