Head of HR
Entrepreneurial Service Business
c£60,000 plus exec package
This is an outstanding career opportunity for an experienced HR Professional to join a high growth, innovative, entrepreneurial business in a key influential role.
A newly created, and highly commercial appointment, the Head of HR will have responsibility for all Human Resource matters across this impressive people-centric business.
Founded by the current management team 10 years ago, the business has grown from strength to strength, carving out their own niche within a high growth market place, whilst retaining their entrepreneurial and highly innovative vision; constantly evolving their product offering, customer proposition and target market.
Based within the North-West Head Office, the Head of HR will quickly become a key member of the Senior Leadership Team. They will commercially connect the business’s prime resource, its people, with the business’s needs and add the human resource dimension to the longer-term development plans. They will also be key in communicating the group vision to the entire business and become the custodian of the business’s culture and personality.
The Head of HR takes responsibility for the business’s most important resource – it’s people. From their inception and first employee in 2010 through to the current 3-digit workforce, people have been at the core of this impressive business. From recruiting and developing; through to coaching main board directors (current and future), this is a truly strategic leadership appointment and has the chance to be the most influential executive in the business.
Tasked with developing strong, influential, collaborative relationships with all employees whilst adding strategic input to the Senior Leadership Team and driving the ‘people’ aspect of the business’s already impressive growth strategy. The appointee will most definitely sit within the ‘business’, and take a P&L attitude, whilst ensuring people structures, skills and motivations are such that the business will succeed in its aims and commercial objectives.
The appointee will be an experienced Human Resources operator, but this could well be their first ‘Head Of…’ appointment. They will possess the commercial insight to understand the current position of the business whilst appreciating, and being motivated by the ambition for significant growth, cognisant of the challenges implicit in this and the critical importance of having a highly engaged and happy workforce.
Whilst the successful candidate will have a very commercial and strategic outlook, benefitting the business, they are also vital to ensuring successful day to day operations within their partnership functions, and to ensure full engagement with every person in the business. The role will be hands-on and thus a detailed understanding of the entire HR remit will be essential whilst ensuring the team remain engaged, appreciated and motivated with both short and long term objectives understood and attained.
- Cultural change
- SME employer of choice
- Engaged, motivated workforce
- Visible liquid talent pool
- Embedded Competency Framework into every daily activity
- Commercial understanding of the business’s activities and objectives; combining strategy, commerciality and culture….but with a remit to place people at the heart of the business.
- Design and deliver the HR strategy as a key driver to business growth strategy through close partnerships with senior management teams but recognising the differences in that strategy required in different parts of the business.
- Foster a great appreciation for a broader HR framework for the growing international operation, designing and developing appropriate process, policies and best practice, particularly around mobility, recruitment, T&D and reward.
- Be seen as a true business partner, developing mature but closely synergetic, respectful relationships with internal customers, understanding their priorities.
- Be the leader of the “People Strategy”. Responsible for attraction and retention of key leadership talent. Fostering a dynamic succession-planning strategy, but recognising external resources needs to be employed.
- Key leader in design of an appropriate compensation and benefits framework for the business.
- Demonstrable ability to act as a coach & confidant to Directors, in conflict resolution, organisational improvement and above all ensuring the people agenda lies at the heart of the planning and commercial strategies.
- Partner with senior management to design, develop and implement talent strategies that drive superior organisational performance.
- Serve as a credible and effective representative of senior management capable of making most decisions independently or with minimal consultation.
- Advise senior management on key learning and development issues as they impact the business.
- Ensure all talent and HR strategies and policies align with company objectives and business goals.
- Consistently and positively contribute in a fast-paced, fluid work environment as well as prioritise multiple functions and tasks and manage work efficiently.
- Successfully and proactively identify and manage rapid growth issues as the group continues its expansion.
- Develop a robust talent acquisition pipeline that allows business and project needs to be met with high quality.
- Develop recruiting channels that will work best for the business
- Partner with Marketing in the development of collateral materials based on branding strategy that supports establishing the business as an Employer of Choice
- Lead employee engagement and communication efforts, staff meetings and performance management for team members.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable employment laws and best practices.
- Identify and demonstrate the core values of the business with high levels of consistency and authenticity
- Create an environment where all issues get raised and addressed effectively
- Play a leading role in creating and executing programs to reinforce and secure the business’s unique work culture and corporate personality.
Process and Systems Design and Development
- Develop strategies to lead and support ongoing excellence across all areas of the talent system (planning / forecasting, recruitment, integration, engagement, recognition, training & development, performance management, compensation and benefits)
- Build systems and processes that will effectively support those strategies
- Evaluate effectiveness of systems on an ongoing basis to improve and ensure viability as business growth continues
The appointee will preferably be MCIPD qualified and be able to demonstrate commercial influence and real partnering exposure. They will have a strong track record in not only achieving eye-brow-raising results, but also in driving (and reacting to) change, whilst at all time placing the people strategy and organisational culture at the heart of even the most commercial of decision making.
They will be P&L focused, seeing the people strategy and the vital resource contained within it as being their area of expertise; their lever to deliver the group wide commercial strategies.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Exceptional communication, organisational, and people skills.
- Most likely at least 5 years of progressive, strategic experience working in multiple aspects of organisational and people leadership, including staffing, culture-building, employee relations, training, leadership development, performance management, organization design, and project management.
- Successful experience building a culture of learning, innovation, and entrepreneurial energy in high-tech, multi-cultural settings.
- Experience of supporting cross-functional teams and ensuring effective communication across them.
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with senior management and employees all levels in the company.
- Experience in working at senior levels in effectively and successfully managing start-up/early stage high growth issues.
- Adept problem solver with superior conflict resolution skills.
- Process oriented leader with solid quantitative and analytical skills.
- Strategic thinker: ability to develop, evaluate and articulate talent strategies that address business and operational goals.
- Hands on; comfortable moving from design through implementation with autonomy.
- Able to meet aggressive deadlines.
- Thrives in an energetic and dynamic environment; passionate, focused, flexible and resilient.
The Head of HR will be a leader, they will be an influencer and they will be the custodian of the corporate culture, seen as many as the key driver behind the business’s already impressive people focus, and as a result, their impressive growth track record.
For further information, or to apply, please forward a full CV with salary & package details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or complete the below: