c£50k salary but flexible dependant on experience
My client is a market leading speciality chemical manufacturer. This near century old business has constantly kept ahead of competition, and had a clear focus on technical input and product innovation to become top, second or third largest supplier in all markets they exist within. Quality of product and service is at the core of the business, they were one of the first polymer manufacturers to gain ISO9002 over 30 years ago and have added BS EN ISO 9001:2000 and ISO 14001 since then, all ahead of their competition.
Technical awareness, capability and knowledge has long been a strength of the business and has led the business to some of the largest supplier contracts in the world in their sector(s). They have developed a highly advanced distributor network across the globe to ensure class-leading service-delivery with realistic objectives together with supreme customer service. Their consistency of product is unparalleled.
The business is achieving well-above industry average EBITDA figures, but is focused on re-investing heavily into the business to continue and accelerate its growth and financial might. They invest significantly in both process technology and in personnel to ensure the highest of standard of both product and service are maintained.
A combination of organic drives and external market growth has seen this already market-leading business grow even quicker in recent months, despite the impact of Brexit on Raw Material prices, they have taken huge advantage, and gained significant commercial success from the exchange rate positions following the EU referendum. This has fuelled a desire to invest even more in order to further accelerate that growth. This desire to continue to develop along with their default culture of high motivation and energy, plus the response to high sales and commercial activity has led to the need to recruit a Head of Supply Chain.
The appointee will undertake a big remit, along with a high degree of autonomy from their seat on the Senior Management Team. The successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of materials from raw material purchases and delivery through to shipments to customers.
They will take full ownership of the entire supply chain from purchasing (everything from raw materials, packaging, consumables, logistics & incidentals), crucially through the MRP and ERP systems and processes, along with strategic & intelligent stock planning, right through to global shipment and delivery to customers. The person acts as the owner of the ERP system and oversees procurement, production planning, scheduling, inventory, shipping and receiving.
This is a business that is working, and working well, but as a newly created role, this offers an element of ‘blank sheet of paper’ design, to set up and gain huge benefit from more organised, efficient and effective Supply Chain Management. Expected quick wins are significant from supplier reviews, MRP processes, implementing a robust but high performing ERP system, and strategic stock management.
But this is not a stand-still role. Immersed within the strategy of the business, this role, reporting directly to the MD, will have a huge influence over the entire business, and it’s onward performance.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for all aspects of the ERP system
- Directs planning of procurement and raw materials including subcontracted services
- Responsible for inventory accuracy, forecasting and stock turns for finished goods, raw materials, packaging, PPE and consumables
- Ensures that all aspects of the procurement and material management processes are functioning effectively to avoid costly delays and lost sales opportunities due to availability of materials
- Communicates needs and objectives to key internal and external stakeholders, including suppliers, sales, technical, operational and management.
Duties and responsibilities
- Oversees all planning and scheduling activities
- Works closely with Sales, Technical and Operations on on new grades and product development
- Provides input into capacity requirements in order to maximise productivity and efficiency
- Maintains the standards used for product costings
- Responsible for purchasing of all raw materials, packaging, transport, PPE and consumables, but excluding engineering parts/contracts
- Responsible for efficient and accurate MRP functionality
- Negotiates cost reductions
- Identifies primary and alternative sources for each raw material required and encourages suppliers to to remain competitive to achieve best value (quality, lead time, price and technical support)
- Works with the Technical Director to qualify suppliers and monitor their performance
- Establishes and enforces procedures to ensure correct recording, storage and tracking of all items purchased by the Company
- Monitors prices of all major raw materials, analyses the impact based upon annual usage and reports to management for budgetary purposes
- Monitors significant trends, change in suppliers and prices to capitalise on opportunities and/or protect company positions
- Researches and identifies at risk raw materials and assists in developing new sources of supply
- Contacts carriers to negotiate contracts and pricing
- Manage the relationship between many different suppliers
- Select suppliers and work with the Technical Director to qualify and measure performance in areas of quality, on time delivery, technical resource/support and ease of doing business
- Negotiate terms to obtain necessary raw materials and items in the most timely and cost effective manner
- Solicit discounts, rebates, warehousing options and favourable payment terms from suppliers
- Work with the Technical Director to identify and resolve supplier problems in a timely manner
- Oversee the shipping and receiving functions
- Negotiate in bound and out bound freight and carrier contracts and terms
- Responsible for ordering containers, as well as complying with customs regulations and maintaining relationships with freight forwarders and co-ordinating their efforts
- Directly supervises planning/scheduling, purchasing, shipping and receiving functions
The appointee will have had management/leadership experience, probably at manager level; but this may well be their first ‘Head of’ role. They will have come from a technical environment where raw material quality is paramount. They will have a real can-do attitude, and be hungry to take a well performing business to new heights of commercial supply chain efficiency and production utilization.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Experience to lead the implementation of ERP/MRP systems
- Degree in Supply Chain Management, Business or related discipline
- 10+ years experience of purchasing, including the purchasing of technical materials/product
- 5+ years of senior management experience. Must be a leader
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programmes such as Excel, Word and Outlook
- Ability to communicate and work well in a team based environment
- Excellent attention to detail
- Highly organised
- Dedicated to the pursuit of continuous improvement
This is a career defining, fantastic opportunity for an experienced, operationally aware Supply Chain professional to join a market leading business as they embark on a period of high-growth and widespread operational and commercial improvements which will lead to an already higher than average EBITDA improve further through the introduction of class-leading Supply Chain systems and processes.
To apply, please forward a full CV and currently salary/package details HERE
Or complete the below form