Sales & Marketing Director (MD Designate)
c£80,000 plus exec package including excellent bonus & significant equity
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to join a well-funded, highly innovative healthcare/medical device start-up.
Two years after releasing their patented first product, they are already receiving unprecedented universally positive feedback from the industry and from customers alike.
Their ground-breaking yet simple patented product, developed over a 10 year timescale, is the result of significant technical and intellectual firepower coupled with the commercial/business-brain of a highly experienced, renowned & supportive Chairman.
Having seen sales growth initially stalled due to the Coronavirus, they are now poised to capitalise on the impact on their marketplace; the business has also recently bought-out one of its major and earliest investors further solidifying their financial position, as well as setting up contract manufacturing to more easily satisfy accelerating demand. A key step to their continued development is the appointment a highly-commercial Sales & Marketing Director as they build towards an exit in c3yrs time.
The appointee will take ownership of the commercial strategy, designing and developing the sales strategy across numerous markets, verticals and international territories, both through an existing distribution network, but increasingly move towards a Direct-to-Consumer and direct B2B models.
This key role will drive the commercial growth of the business over the short to medium term and assure its long-term success. The role as Sales & Marketing Director is an outstanding opportunity to not only take a key role in an exciting, entrepreneurial and innovative business, but to be a key part of, and benefit from, the business’s future.
This executive appointee will take full responsibility for commercial growth through sales and business development; supported, mentored and with significant input from the Chairman, who himself possesses over 40 years of business leadership experience and the technical/engineering teams. They will also assume increasing general management position of day-to-day operations as the Chairman continues to take a more arms-length role.
They will be expected to design, own and deliver the sales and business development strategy ensuring optimum commercial success, market exposure, and maximum customer experience.
Regardless of the strength of the patented technology, profitable sales growth is critical to the success of this business. The Sales & Marketing Director will lead from the front, as well as recruiting and developing a sales team. The embryonic nature of this business dictates that the appointee will initially be very hands on; the personal sales success of the Sales & Marketing Director will be critical.
That said, being an inspirational leader will be vital alongside leading by example and ‘getting your hands dirty’. The sales process relies on leveraging the technical brains and functions in the business and engaging relationships, internally and externally at a senior strategic level, but especially within the client base, both B2C and B2B.
The Sales & Marketing Director will be the face of the business, a figurehead and motivational trailblazer. The appointee will work with a very varied team from finance to technicians and engineers; the ability to engage with colleagues from scientific and back-office functions will be essential.
Alongside driving sales, they will seek to continually improve operational standards, applying an operational excellence approach and drive forward new initiatives and innovations to constantly improve revenue and profitability.
Taking the lead with the commercial design and planning for the business, the appointee will be tasked with communicating the operational and commercial vision for the business, with internal and external support where required, and will be the key to exceeding expectations in this innovative and potential-filled business. Operational efficiency is key in the early phase and will form a strong foundation to enable maximum commercial and financial benefit to be gained from the business, but driving top-line growth will be paramount to long-term success.
Suitable candidates will have a significant, high-achieving sales and business development career with a technical product, ideally within a technical healthcare/medical device manufacturing environment. They may also possess some degree of technical/engineering understanding; but their recent focus will be highly commercial sales and business development focus.
This is not a stand still role. The career potential for this role is uncapped. It is expected the individual will quickly progress to a more general management role, assuming the formal role of Managing Director in the short term.
The product is already experiencing significant interest and positive customer feedback, and expected to see exponential growth year on year.
The successful candidate will have significant entrepreneurial ability and desire, and be hugely excited by a very high paced environment.
The priorities of this role include:
- Develop the sales and marketing strategy for the business, identifying business needs, market potential and innovative strategies for long terms success for target sectors/target customers in line with company objectives.
- Measure the achievement of the strategy and the business plan with regular reviews.
- Deliver the results in accordance with the strategy and agreed plans identifying areas for profitable growth. To assume responsibility for the performance, conduct and motivation of the department.
- To understand the market environment, to lead the department effectively, providing clear direction, motivation and enthusiasm to ensure all work towards common goals.
- To lead and develop the sales team, ensuring maximum productivity, effectiveness and customer facing skills to ensure a high-performance culture of business excellence and continuous improvement.
- Manage the sales reporting on a regular basis to assess company performance against KPI’s for revenue, margin, order size and conversion. Ensure an effective sales pipeline and lead tracking process.
- Manage the implementation of the Marketing strategy – including campaigns, events, digital marketing, website and PR, social media presence and direct programs to improve social media reputation and recognition.
- To derive and maintain the positioning of the business as a strategic partner with major customers to deliver contacts through meetings/visits to site as well as supporting customer visits to our facility.
- Undertake continuous analysis of competitive environment to fully understand competitor positions and strategy to develop market share.
- Ensuring the CRM is being effectively and provides a competitive advantage.
- Control of contract documentation to ensure the commercial suitability of all contracts that the risk, contractual obligations, profitability and cash flow are all in line with the business needs and meet the financial targets set.
Specific Performance Deliverables and KPIs:
- The sales and profit performance of the Company.
- Enterprise Value of the business.
- Setting and delivery of the Sales & Marketing Strategy.
- Meeting various deadlines
- Accuracy of budgets and forecasts
- Customer satisfaction performance
- Input into cost reduction solutions
- Improvement and delivery of management information
The appointee will impress from first meeting. They will on the up in their career and on a definite career path, with ascension to the role of Managing Director in their sights. They will be strategic in their approach, constantly seeking fresh ideas, fresh markets, looking at broadening their, and the company’s market. They will be adept at long term planning, and communicating with, and knowing their market, it’s trends and be able to accurately forecast because of it. But they will still love to sell. This is a small entrepreneurial business; the Sales & Marketing Director will lead by example and the best candidates will still want it that way.
- Results driven
- Customer service focus
- Leadership capabilities
- Planning and monitoring
- Judgement and decision-making
- Forward thinking
- Excellent verbal and written communication, consulting and networking skills
- Excellent negotiation and numeracy skills
- Ability to lead, and work within a team
- Excellent people management skills
- Ability to prioritise workloads, meet deadlines and maintain accuracy at all times
- Ability to work independently and with the vision to ensure customer development
- Must be able to travel when required
Qualifications & Experience:
- Preferably degree educated
- Experience of the Medical Device/Healthcare sector; manufacturing or supply-chain would be desirable
- Strong and demonstrable exposure to key network organisations
- Experience of selling and dealing with ‘value added’ highly technical services/products
- Demonstrable ability to lead process changes
- Excellent communication and listening skills, both internally and externally and appreciation of cultural requirements
- Ability to tailor communications to the appropriate audience.
This is a career defining, fantastic opportunity for an experienced, operationally aware and commercial client-facing professional, to add significant value to an exciting, disruptive business, and reap the rewards to doing so.
To APPLY please forward your CV and current salary details by email HERE
Or complete the below: