B2B Technology Service
$150-$200,000 plus outstanding package including significant wealth creation.
My client is a genuine market leader and innovator as well as one of the most recognised and renowned players/brands in the technology service sector(s). Steeped in modern history and with a disruptive story and track-record that reads like the plot of a Hollywood movie, their market position is the envy of their sector.
Having benefited from great innovation, entrepreneurial vision and immense intellectual firepower, this privately owned business already has a valuation that is heading towards $bn.
Where many of their competitors have seen great peaks and troughs in commercial performance, they have seen steady growth and huge development. That is not to say the business has not seen its share of challenges, but through strong leadership they have continued to develop and retain their place as one of their sectors (and regions) most aspirational brands.
Having redefined (and been ahead of) their sector on inception, the business has maintained it’s top market position through astute leadership leading to dramatic organic growth, as well as a highly strategic acquisition strategy that leaves them operating within every single market within their sector, many with a dominant position.
Having experienced unprecedented growth, the business is at a pivotal point of its development, and is being forced to morph from Entrepreneurial Group into a ‘Corporate’ in preparation for the next phase on its quest towards a £10-digit size and potential corporate transaction/IPO.
The board have decided that an injection of Intellectual Firepower, and Commercial Leadership is required to spearhead the development of the US business, but forming a strategic succession plan for the overall group. The current, long-serving Group CEO has a very strong track record of sales growth, and commercial gain, and the business has benefitted hugely from that approach, but the business is now primed for a gradual shift in leadership and desires a broader, more varied and more focused leader to join the organisation, initially as Finance Lead for the US, but with the path towards Group CFO ahead of them.
The appointee will take a very active part in the leadership, strategic direction and most importantly, commercial and financial leadership of this already impressive US business. He/She will display a significant demonstrable ability to understand the technological, commercial and human proposition, and turn that into a formidable commercial strategy…then execute it. Leadership, finance rigour as well as driving commercial success will play a major part in the successful candidate’s background.
The appointee will have a staggering financial leadership track record in high-profile, technology/service environments, as well as an automatic interest and fascination with the sector. They will have been immersed in technology, innovation and entrepreneurialism for much of their career, and be able to demonstrate an impressive history of achievement in broad commercial finance areas. But finance will not be the only driver, the successful candidate will be a great communicator, recognising that the human resource within the business is absolutely vital to the business’ future and commercial longevity.
It will be immediately obvious why the appointment has been made. The appointee may, or may not have held an FD/CFO appointment already within their career, but they will already be an industry ‘name’ with the energy and ambition to attain unparalleled heights.
- Design, develop and direct the financial and commercial strategy that will enable the company to maximise its full potential for long-term growth and profitability.
- Ensure the structure and capability is in place to deliver the business plan effectively and efficiently.
- Provide inspirational leadership and champion the values that the company lives by.
This exciting role will be responsible for providing financial expertise, control and business support & oversight for the business. Working closely with the CEO and the operational teams, this role will provide financial control, decision support and analysis across the entire business
More specifically, responsibilities include:
- Leading a team of ambitious colleagues to deliver a world class Tech finance function.
- Grow engagement within finance through the development of a finance team to support the business and building close relationships with the leadership team to ensure seamless provision of financial information across the Group.
- Provide challenge and development for colleagues, ensuring that colleagues understand where their role fits within the Group and what impact they have.
- Financial Control and Reporting
- Provision of regular and timely financial information to the business including the preparation of periodic management accounts.
- Provide financial support and challenge to each area of the business and ensuring appropriate accountability of budget holders.
- Ensure compliance with all Group accounting policies and procedures.
- Maintenance and development of the control environment to effectively manage risk and ensure compliance with Group policies and approval processes.
- Monitor and control capital expenditure within the business ensuring compliance with Group policies and adherence to budget/forecast.
- Commercial Support Functions
- Provide financial insight, quality analysis and commercial recommendations to support informed decision making across the business.
- Key finance representative at all relevant meetings and ensuring that finance has a presence in all regular business review meetings and in all decision making with financial implications.
- Highlight cross business dependencies in all projects to ensure that challenges are identified early in projects to allow solutions to be identified and planned.
- Support and develop continuous R&D programmes
- Financial Planning and Forecasting
- Preparation of annual budgets, reforecasts and rolling forecasts for the business.
- Representing Finance in the annual Group Strategic Planning process.
- Transactional Functions
- Supporting the transactional functions (cash and banking, purchase ledger and payroll) in the development of fit for purpose processes to exploit the investment made in systems and to deliver efficiencies.
The appointee should be results oriented, hands-on and possess the ability to create a sense of mission and attentiveness to current and future client requirements.
- A strong commercial market orientation with commitment to financial rigour
- Entrepreneurial mindset, comfort with ambiguity, and able to manage risk and balance opportunity
- Strong communication, listening and interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively lead, motivate and inspire teams
- Unquestioned ethics and integrity