Business Development Manager
Specialty Chemical Distributor
c£55,000 plus car & performance-based earnings and exec package
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a market leading value-add distributor supplying a wide range of specialty chemical raw materials into a variety of industrial sectors.
Over a century old, they have grown through acquisition and partnered with a variety of leading global producers, whilst also developing their own portfolio of world-renowned brand names.
Today, they offer in excess of 100 functional additives, chemicals & minerals, and operates out of 4 European warehouses underpinned by a comprehensive technical centre, and a contract blending and repackaging plant. They have an enviable reputation across the market, with a client list to match, but are primed to climb to even greater heights.
The businesses is a highly technical, value-add distributor, representing globally positioned producers of specialty, technical products. They boast a market-leading technical function, supplemented by a motivated and competent sales and marketing team primed to service Customers’ needs around the globe. They have constantly kept ahead of competition, primarily through that technical capability providing a true value-added service, but also from the commercial re-invigoration their strategic plans have brought. Quality of product and service is at the core of the business; their consistency of service delivery is of key focus.
They are performing well, and achieving above industry average commercial returns, but with the desire to do even better. Recent organic growth, plus transformative M&A activity, has seen their turnover more than double over the last 3 years and has cemented their market position and increased their market share through multi-channel approaches and strategic efficiencies, whilst re-investing heavily into the business to continue and accelerate its growth and financial position.
Planned M&A activity will further accelerate that growth and satisfy their appetite to more than double their growth over the next five years, increasing their market share and internationalising the business, all the time re-investing heavily into the business to continue and accelerate its growth and financial position in addition to improving both their process technology AND level of personnel to ensure the highest of standard of both product and service are maintained.
A key part of that strategy is the recruitment of a Business Development Manager, a leader to facilitate business growth through product & principal acquisition coupled and customer management through internal resources including a small team of direct reports – Internal Account Managers.
The appointee will take high degrees of autonomy in the management, development and leadership of acquisition of new and existing products as well as the location, attraction and securing of new principles, plus ongoing customer management; all with the full support of the Sales Director and the Board.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Delivery of budgeted targets, objectives and KPI’s as set
- Ability to collate and provide reporting through relevant market analysis and data
- Work with the Market Managers and Senior Management Team to devise and agree Business Development strategy & achievement of set goals
- Identification & engagement with relevant principals & suppliers
- Sourcing of new products that add value to our existing portfolio
- Effective management of an internal commercial team
- Objective setting and direct management of the internal commercial team
- Identification and targeting of new principals and markets
- Record all customer and principal interaction within electronic CRM platform
- Determine and action criteria for prioritising in line with business objectives
- Representation of the company at relevant trade exhibitions and specific events
- Proactively provide business development proposals, properly qualified and quantified.
- Key relationship builder with new principals, suppliers and colleagues
- Work closely with Market Assistants, the BMS & QMS to ensure we meet customer and principal requirements and enhance service levels to both
- Travel both within the UK and International will be required as part of this role
Job Role & Competencies
- Excellent technical and analysis skills
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Organised with good attention to detail
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills (internally and externally)
- To effectively manage and motivate a small team
- Ability to work on own initiative, utilising data and take relevant action where required
- Focused on creating new business by networking and connecting with potential principals and suppliers
- Fully understands and supports the sales cycle involved with technical sales, concentrating on areas of highest return for the business
- Experience within the current industries in which the business operates or experience in a similar role within a relevant vertical
- Competent within MS Office – Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Experience using CRM platforms
- Provide reforecast and financial data as part of the budgeting process
- Ability to be a self-starter and work upon own initiative
- Evaluate supplier core competencies and competitive positioning using industry cost models
- Analyse industry trends and evolving technology to proactively identify supply base issues to minimise risk, protect continuity of supply, and utilise emerging opportunities
- Participate in establishing short-term and long-range planning and budget development of the company to support strategic business goals
- Develop a supplier management program with key suppliers including metrics, performance goals and improvement initiatives
- Operate at all times with the highest level of business integrity to ensure the good reputation of the company is enhanced and communicate internally and externally in a manner that improves the quality culture of the company.
- Operate the detailed processes and systems in current operational use, ensuring customer/supplier expectations are fulfilled, and the meaningful business relevant reports are produced
- Contact existing and potential new suppliers to identify further commercial opportunities and develop them into secured business.
- Build relationships with all stake holders.
- Identify key areas in which sales can be developed through existing and new suppliers, new product and services to increase market awareness and the brand via the Marketing Dept
- Work closely with the Sales Director on potential new products and agencies to complement the existing portfolio of materials & services
- Produce and meet budgets, reforecasts and objectives, in line with business strategy
- Offering technical support / advice to the wider team, that implies a thorough working knowledge of the products is essential.
- Negotiating pricing for new principals, products and services
- Reporting – regularly discuss and report directly to the SD, all aspects and concerns regarding; customers, suppliers, prospects, pipeline, targets, budgets and market information relevant to the sales territory and teams.
- Prepare a structured monthly Business Development report and outlook.
- Fully prepare and participate in the monthly individual area review meeting with the SD
- Reporting – submitting concise and timely reports detailing outcome of contact/visits with existing and new principals to ensure all relevant personnel within the company are clear on any action they may need to take as a result of the contact.
- All contact reports should contain information on the market sector(s), products, focussing upon the relevant features and benefits of the principal/supplier and resulting visit action.
- Visit Reports to follow within 2 days of visit.
- Reporting – logging and circulating to relevant personnel any internally received enquiry/order/complaint etc.
- Attend the following meetings, and others so far unspecified, to complete the Job Role –
- Strategy & Business Development
- Review Meetings
- Commercial Meetings
- Team Briefings
- Other meetings as required
This is a career defining, fantastic opportunities for an experienced, technically aware, commercial professional, with exposure to specialty chemicals/raw material markets and add significant value to an already high-performing market leading business.
For further information on this exciting role, or to formally apply, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org