£125-150,000 plus bonus, package and equity
This is an outstanding opportunity to join one of the country’s most impressive, privately owned and still market leading retail and eCommerce groups. Having trail-blazed from inception three decades ago, the business remains one of the strongest names in UK retail and still sees an increasingly exponential growth curve as they embrace new products, channels and innovative strategies.
Following a recent re-organisation there is now a need to recruit a class leading Chief Operating Officer. The successful candidate will lead, develop and coach the already high performing retail team to ensure the continued successful growth and excellence of the business.
This is a highly exciting opportunity as the Company sees the appointee in this pivotal role as a critical part of the senior management team and as such expect the individual to continue to develop their career within the business to the very highest level.
The Chief Operating Officer will inspire, lead and develop the management team with clear objectives and focus, seeking to maximise profitable sales. You will continually improve operational standards and drive forward to measures with the clear objective of improving revenue and earnings by refining and targeting existing product ranges/brands, introducing new/innovative products and services whilst developing new offerings to new and existing customers.
Key to the role will be the leadership and development of the retail & omni-channel operations’ performance, developing different formats, growing and sustaining competitive advantage and maximising business development opportunities. But the appointee will be highly numerate, perhaps even with a Finance background. They will recognise the importance of numbers in retail, and the detail they afford.
- Retail AND eCommerce Operations
- Strategy and Business Planning
- Employee Direction and Leadership
- Business Performance against all metrics & KPIs set
- Driving the retail business performance within stores and especially online
- Ensure that full attention is given to customers and that they are provided with a high level of service. There will be a perceived point of difference with competitors.
- To lead and manage the development of the business, both strategically and operationally
- To meet budget expectations, adding value to all activities and helping to achieve excellent customer experience and sustainable competitive advantage
- Promote best practice in delivering the highest standards of operational integrity across the product portfolio
- Take full responsibility for the achievement of key objectives (sales, cash and capital expenditure) rapidly becoming familiar with the business, its culture, markets and products
- Ensure the product range is competitive and meets or exceeds customer expectations
- Ensure the company’s operational infrastructure supports the business plan and that the company complies fully with regulatory and legislative requirements
- Benchmark business performance and processes against industry best practice, proposing to the Board change where necessary
- Continually strive to introduce new innovations including services and products
The successful candidate will be an accomplished retailer with a demonstrable track record and a proven ability to drive growth through the optimisation of existing stores, a pivotal eCommerce/Omni-Channel strategy and overall product mix coupled with the creativity to identify and launch pertinent new propositions. They will furthermore have significant exposure of work for (with) an Entrepreneur as well as a track record of providing meaningful leadership in a multi/omni-channel retail environment, developing successful, high performing teams and fostering a ‘can-do/will-do’ attitude.
Additionally, they will bring some depth of experience in the online channel and may have also had exposure to other direct to consumer businesses and their associated marketing/trading methods.
They will have had significant experience in a competitive High Street environment with high-growth online presence and will ideally have grown up through a Retail Operations or Marketing background, but they will have the demonstrable ability to cover and add value to all areas. They will have recent, significant experience in an entrepreneurial environment with a flat, direct management structure and a very strong action orientated culture. They will possess demonstrable capability with numbers, and may even have a finance background, but will have moved very much into the operational and/or general management arena within fast-paced retail.
They will ooze entrepreneurial spark, flair, drive and vision and be a natural leader, but will also be able to work alongside a renowned retail entrepreneur and appreciate the challenges that in itself brings(!).
It will be immediately obvious why the appointee has been successful.
For further information on this career-defining and potentially financially life-changing opportunity please in the first instance forward a full CV to Gary Chaplin, including current remuneration details and breakdown, by email
Or complete the below: