Senior Business Development Manager
c£60-80,000 plus benefits
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a high growth, privately owned entrepreneurial Pharmaceutical group, specialising in the development, manufacture and sale of specialised regulated products.
As a highly specialist, technologically advanced business, their spread of interests leaves them leading several markets and provides for continued, long-term revenue streams.
The business’s current strategy will see the business’s steady year on year growth accelerate due to recent M&A activity.
Recognising the growth of the business, the group now has a critical need, and is excited to appoint a senior Business Development Manager to further develop working relationships with key clients, and the commercial gain it brings. This key role is critical to drive the commercial growth of the business over the short to medium term as well as cementing their market leading position.
The role as Business Development Manager is an outstanding opportunity to not only take a key role in an exciting, market leading business, but to be a key part of, and benefit from, the business’s future.
This key appointee will take responsibility for establishing, driving and developing client relationships, working with both the commercial and the technical teams within the business. The key focus will be to generate sales through the development of increasingly strengthening, long-term relationships within existing customers as much as driving new business relationships/new customers.
The core function this role will play is to develop relationships and revenue streams within new and existing clients; maximising the commercial potential of each customer long-term .
The appointee will be tasked with meeting sales and margin targets. This is to be achieved through the proactive engagement with clients, leading the business’s interface with its clients to drive effective communication and a customer-focused mindset.
The targeted outcome of this approach is the generation of new business development opportunities with new and existing clients and move forward to contract status and sales in line with the strategic plan. The objective is furthermore to develop CRM best practices and systems to maximise customer loyalty.
Acting as the key communication between the business and it’s customers, and onward across the business, this role will act as the voice of the customer within the organisation
Sales growth will be the primary focus. The appointee will have input on the design of a clear New Business, Key Account and CRM strategies, and be tasked with effectively communicating it to the business units, before taking a lead role in the execution & delivery of the plan.
The potential within the business is great but, as yet, partially untapped. Increased communication, clarification and a coherent strategy, coupled with a strong execution is expected to have a dramatic effect on results at all levels. Being an inspirational influencer within both the BD team and the technical teams will be of paramount importance. Leading by example and ‘getting your hands dirty’ will be essential. The sales process relies on leveraging the technical functions in the business and engaging of relationship at a senior strategic level within the client base.
Whilst being a strong and entrepreneurial leader, the appointee will need to be able to connect and inspire all individuals in this broad-based structure. They will take a lead role in developing and encouraging the interaction and communication across the various teams within the business, with clear objectives and focus, seeking to maximise long term sustainable growth of the business and in specific ongoing sales growth.
They will seek to continually improve operational standards, applying an operational excellence approach and drive forward new initiatives and innovations to improve revenue and profitability.
Suitable candidates will have a high achieving Business Development career behind them within Pharmaceuticals and/or have a scientific/biological/medical background, academic or practical, but they will couple that with highly commercial focus and capability, aligned to demonstrable leadership and general management potential.
This is not a stand still role. The career potential for this role is uncapped.
Alongside strong technical understanding/capability, the successful candidate will have entrepreneurial ability and desire, and be hugely excited by a very high paced environment.
Specific Experience Sought:
- Will have a strong client engagement/key account/business development background gained within a technical, entrepreneurial, intelligent environment, where the individual has been given the opportunity “to do things differently”. Strong technical/pharmaceutical background or at least knowledge is essential.
- At least 2 years leadership/management experience would be useful but not essential
- Ideally a scientific/chemistry/biology/medical background, academic or otherwise
- A strong commercial foundation or experience working within a sales led business
- Ideally have a thorough understanding of the pharmaceutical/CDMO/API/Medical development and manufacturing process
- Track record of success in a growing sustainable business
- Achievement of annual sales and price growth targets
- New programmes from existing clients aligned to the Company 3-5 year growth plan
- Achievement of customer engagement targets
- Measurement of customer loyalty and implementation and communication of corrective actions
- Generates and qualifies sales leads/enquiries from existing customer base..
- Converts priority leads to active sales programs.
- Maintains and grows sales with a portfolio of selected customers.
- Takes a primary role in the implementation and compliance with CRM tools.
- Plans, schedules and executes an agreed sales plan.
- Produces a monthly sales report and provision of relevant commentary
- Works with colleagues in R&D to support new product development programmes.
- Makes relevant Company and product related presentations to customers.
- Undertakes regular sales calls/contact to new and existing clients.
- Monitors and reports on competitors, market conditions and new product developments/launches.
- Understands product and customer elasticity of demand and delivers price growth without undue effect on loyalty and demand
- Ensures key sales transactions are protected through contracts where appropriate.
- Proactively monitors and controls cashflow by driving customer order placements, site adherence to plan and customer payments.
- Leads a Customer –focused mind-set on site through Best Practice Leadership and Communications.
- Data driven analytical decision making
- Sales and Business Development professional.
- Commercially aware and astute.
- Sound experience in generating budgets and implementing sales plans.
- Customer focused with a passion for service excellence.
- Experience of working closely with shared finance function
- An aptitude and interest for/in science and technology beneficial
- Knowledge of Pharmaceutical development process desirable but not essential
- A demonstrated competency in cross functional team management and influencing skills.
- Strategizing & Planning
- Persuasiveness & negotiation
- Verbal and written communication
- Resilience and tenacity
- Numerically astute
Degree level education in related discipline, for example Chemical engineering, Chemistry, Biology Desirable but not essential.
- Taking Ownership: High personal accountability for personal actions and those of site employees
- Passion for Quality: Walks the talk regarding Quality insisting on correct practices, processes and behaviours
- Excellent Customer Service: Strives to and delivers to customer expectations and communicates importance to the wider site staff
- Continuous Improvement and Delivery: Seizes every opportunity for site and individual improvement. Advocate of continuous improvement processes and elevates their importance
- Drive & Initiative: Takes responsibility and exhibits leadership in taking tasks and actions through to successful conclusions
- Teamwork & Collaboration: Fully understands that a cross functional approach engages employees and delivers more efficient and effective processes
- A leader in driving relationship management. Understands the levels of customer relationship necessary to accelerate sales growth, and fosters such a culture in customer-facing personnel.
Or complete the below: