Business Director – North America
Preferably US-based but with some travel
$80-100,000, significant bonus plus exec package
My client is a market leading speciality chemical manufacturer. This well established business has constantly kept ahead of competition, and had a clear focus on technical input and product innovation to become top, second or third largest supplier in all markets they exist within.
Technical awareness and knowledge has long been a strength of the business and has led the business to some of the largest supplier contracts in the world in their sector(s). They have developed a highly advanced distributor network across the western hemisphere to ensure class-leading service-delivery with realistic objectives together with supreme customer service. Their consistency of product is unparalleled.
The business is achieving well-above industry average EBITDA figures, and is focused on re-investing heavily into the business to continue and accelerate its growth and financial might. They invest significantly in both process technology AND in personnel to ensure the highest of standard of both product and service are maintained. This desire to continue to develop along with their default culture of high motivation and energy has led to the need to recruit a Business Manager/Director to lead and accelerate their continued expansion in the North American market.
The appointee will take a high degree of autonomy in the development and leadership of this key market, but with the full support of the Board and the parent Group. The successful candidate will design, develop and implement a clear strategy to profitably expand the sales in the US markets through the establishment of a distribution network. They will be tasked with identifying suitable business partners in the region(s) and to assist in the selection, training and ultimately the management of the appointed distributors to achieve the agreed profitability and sales targets as well as the on-going performance.
Duties and responsibilities.
Customers – Internal & External
- To determine, in conjunction with the distributor(s), the best strategy to develop profitable sales and maximise the benefits of the product portfolio and the brand and service
- To liaise, negotiate and help distributors/customers with the selection of the correct products based upon commercial and technical aspects
- To develop and maintain mutually beneficial working relationships with distributors/customers
- To provide the required information to ensure timely and accurate communications
- Ensuring that your function is consistently presented to a high level to promote a professional image to the internal and external customer.
- To monitor, in conjunction with the central finance, the payment record and credit worthiness of all distributors and customers to ensure timely payments.
- To plan and prepare sales forecasts and budgets and ensure that sales profitability, volume and budget objectives are achieved
- Ensure that all management information is produced and distributed within the stated deadlines
- Proactively work towards the achievement of the company overall budgets and forecasts.
- To ensure that limits of authority and sign off levels are adhered to
Business Processes & Safety
- Ensure all policies and procedures are adhered to and to ensure that controls are effective.
- Ensure that you are aware and comply with all company policies including health and safety.
- Undertake regular reviews of your function to improve customer service, performance and productivity.
Specific Performance Deliverables and KPIs
- The sales and profit performance of the Company and your designated market
- Meeting various deadlines.
- Accuracy of budgets and forecasts
- Customer satisfaction performance of your function
- Implementation of cost reduction solutions.
- Improvement and delivery of management information.
- Results driven
- Customer service focus.
- Leadership capabilities
- Planning and monitoring.
- Judgement and decision-making.
- Forward thinking.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, consulting and networking skills.
- Excellent negotiation and numeracy skills.
- Ability to work within a team
- Excellent people management skills.
- Self motivated.
- Ability to prioritise workloads, meet deadlines and maintain accuracy at all times.
- Ability to work independently and with the vision to ensure customer development
- Must be able to travel internationally from a US base
Qualifications & Experience
- Preferably degree educated.
- Experience of international sales and management of distributors and agents
- Experience of selling ‘value added’ manufactured products
- Demonstrated ability to lead process changes.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and general Office applications.
- Excellent communication and listening skills, both internally and externally and appreciation of cultural requirements
- Ability to tailor communications to the appropriate audience.
- Full driving licence
This is a career defining, fantastic opportunity for an experienced, operationally aware and commercial business development professional, with exposure to the North American region (or any part therein) to quickly move into a General Management position and add significant value to an already high-performing market leader. Interested?
Search starting January 2017
To express early interest please email us with your latest CV and current remuneration
Or complete the below: