Managing Director/Business Unit Director
Digital Service Provider
£125/130,000 plus executive package
This is an outstanding opportunity to join an impressive young business, recently acquired by a slightly larger privately-owned group. Occupying a unique position in the digital marketplace and with 5 years successful trading behind them, this acquisition comes at an extremely exciting time for the business, providing the resource, intellectual firepower and commercial experience to exponentially grow and take huge steps into this new marketplace.
Beyond all of that, the newly acquired business sits with great synergy with their new parent group from both an operational and commercial perspective, compounding their current market positioning and introducing multiple new and innovative initiatives. With only one (indirect) competitor, not based in the European market this business currently sits within, it is an extremely exciting time.
The parent group, itself an entrepreneurial, privately owned, innovative business services group, has set new standards in operational excellence and corporate culture; both backed by substantial recent investment. The parent group also brings substantial political and commercial influence to further expedite the growth this business is set for; a key driver behind the acquisition.
As this business begins its journey as part of a Group, albeit with significant independence, they face the critical need to recruit and experienced Director; an individual with the ability to take a business, still barely out of its start-up phase, and make a difference to the already exciting future.
The successful candidate will lead and develop the business, designing an evolved business plan with support from the group strategy team, before designing its delivery – strategically and operationally, whilst respecting and adopting the group’s culture, values and overall human-centric focus.
The appointee will inspire, lead and develop the entire business and its people, with clear objectives and focus, seeking to maximise commercial growth. They will have a keen focus on stakeholder engagement, internal and external; customers, partners, external bodies (including market regulators) and the Group Board. They will also have an interest and/or capability in policy setting both internal and external with an eye to compliance requirements.
They will continually improve operational standards and drive forward measures with the clear objective of improving performance by refining existing services/operations, introducing new/innovative products and services whilst developing new offerings to new and existing customers. Key to the role will be the development of commercial performance, different formats, growing and sustaining competitive advantage and maximising business development opportunities.
- Strategy and business planning
- Team direction and leadership
- Stakeholder engagement
- Business performance against all metrics & KPIs set
- Adopting the group culture & values.
- Driving the business performance within multiple revenue models, including subscription
- Ensure that full attention is given to customers & stakeholders and that they are provided with a high level of service, setting a perceived point of difference with competitors.
- To lead and manage the development of the business, both strategically and operationally
- To meet budget expectations, adding value to all activities and helping to achieve excellent customer experience and sustainable competitive advantage
- Promote best practice in delivering the highest standards of operational integrity across the product portfolio
- Take full responsibility for the achievement of key objectives rapidly becoming familiar with the business, its culture, markets and products
- Ensure the service offering is competitive and meets or exceeds customer expectations
- Ensure the company’s operational infrastructure supports the business plan and that the company complies fully with regulatory and legislative requirements, utilising Group resource where needed
- Continually strive to introduce new innovations including services and products
The successful candidate will be an accomplished business leader and experienced ‘No.1’ business leader (by whatever designation). They will possess a demonstrable track record and proven ability to drive growth through the optimisation of existing channels and product mix, coupled with the creativity to identify and launch new propositions.
They will furthermore have a track record of providing meaningful leadership, ideally (but necessarily) in a modern/new-economy/digital-led environment, developing successful, high-performing teams and fostering a ‘can-do/will-do’ attitude. Additionally, they will bring a depth of experience in true overall business leadership.
They will have had significant experience in a growth/start-up setting and will have the demonstrable ability to cover and add value to all areas. They will have recent, significant exposure to an entrepreneurial environment with a flat, direct management structure and a very strong action orientated culture. They will ooze entrepreneurial spark, flair, drive and vision and be a natural leader. It will be immediately obvious why the appointee has been successful.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- Proven track record leading a commercially focused, innovative business
- Strong collaborative & influencing skills – internal and external
- Exposure to policy setting and ideally, exposure to regulatory compliance
- Proven stakeholder engagement
- Experience of planning and organising multiple teams in a lithe, young-business environment
- Ideally experience of a digital/tech sector
- Exposure to membership/subscription/retainer-led business models would provide an interesting dynamic and be viewed favourably!
Competencies and Personal Attributes
- A natural leader who will identify and create sales, promotion and growth opportunities by working across internal teams and external partners – prioritising and personally managing where appropriate the key stakeholders and the introduction of new product categories/revenue streams
- Strong influencing and motivational skills to lead – internally and externally
- Adaptable and flexible in style and approach
- A hands-on self-starter
- Flexible and sufficiently mobile to travel both within the UK and overseas to travel as necessary to meet and develop the business
- A natural coach and leader who will support both his/her and the wider team
Or complete the below: