Head of Communications & Engagement
Innovative Service Group
c£75-100,000 on an interim contract basis
This is an outstanding opportunity to join one of the country’s most innovative business and consumer services groups in a highly influential position.
Almost 20 years after inception, they continue to lead their unique B2B/B2C/B2R market place, delivering an invaluable service whilst working with their clients on a path of continuous improvement.
Even in these unprecedented times, not only has their business activity continued as normal, they have utilised an already present technological infrastructure to enable every member of staff to work as normal and the business’s security to be ensured.
Differentiating themselves by remaining totally independent and providing bespoke solutions through numerous highly qualified and focussed teams to provide swift solutions and resolutions, whilst creating maximum value for their client & consumer bases underpinned by highly principled humility and passion for what they do.
Replicating that human-focus internally, they have created an upbeat, friendly, innovative, and fast-paced environment with, crucially, market-leading opportunity for advancement. But they seek to continue the development of that culture and environment for the personal and professional benefit of all employees.
This is an energised and innovative culture, which every employee works diligently to foster and continually improve. They are an opportunistic growth company that seeks to deliver long-term prosperity to all employees.
Their innovative service has won them significant recognition and an enviable client list within highly regulated environments as well as huge respect amongst the consumer base but all with an underlying reputation for objectivity. Two decades of achievements and award wins set this innovative business apart from their competitors, and with continued demand for their services, an increased capability in their product and service portfolio and their quest to continually strive to innovate and keep both them, and their clients ahead of the curve, their future is as impressive as their history and even more exciting.
Communication, internal and external, sits at the core of this innovative business. With a rapidly evolving strategy and high levels of innovation, a lithe approach to their message distribution is essential. With their current Head of Communications expected to be away from the business for some time, finding an Interim Head of Communications is not only essential to ensure a continuation of message, but also presents the business with an outstanding opportunity to gain a fresh perspective on this critical function.
This appointee will be responsible for developing and leading the overall communications strategy, internal and external, including media relations, crisis management, employee engagement and social media as well as provide input into the marketing function for the business.
As the communications lead, you will be working across the business and will be responsible for creating and managing communication plans designed towards engaging all external and internal stakeholders, ensuring a common and consistent message and tone, promoting key activities, new initiatives and generally promoting the business and its brand.
The role leads a team of six covering all aspects of communications, including a notable bias towards digital communication and specific projects on Social Media and PR, to both B2B and B2C customer/client audiences. But of equal importance is the focus on internal stakeholders, from the board to supporting the regulatory experts and ensuring the engagement of all employees. This is a business with a broad cross-section of colleagues; the role of Head of Communication reflects that breadth. The full engagement of Operations team, Regulatory teams, Commercial and Strategic teams as well as the SLT is vital. An ongoing communications strategy is supplemented by periodic events to internal stakeholders to ensure maximum engagement.
A key target for this tenure will be to review and improve the ‘DNA’ of the business, ensuring a consistent communication style, message and tonality, but fitting in with a culture of ‘Listen, then react/respond’.
The role performs a strategic leadership function and requires a creative and strategic thinker with a track record of supporting businesses in all aspects of their communication, but someone who is also a ‘do-er’, who can think of the bigger picture and bigger message who is not only prepared to roll up their sleeves to get the job done, but will actively enjoy doing so.
The successful candidate will demonstrably be a team player with a can-do attitude and the ability to work across all aspects of the business, delivering effective communications strategies on deadline in a fast-paced environment.
- Develop and execute communications strategies that support the business’s objectives, including creating a corporate voice, tone and messaging pillars that are successfully utilised across both internal and external communications
- Provide strategic counsel to the senior leadership team regarding reputational threats and opportunities. Proactively develop communication strategies and crisis management plans; establish a process to rapidly take action as needed
- Develop communication materials for CEO and executives, including messaging and talking points, Q&As, briefings, employee communications, social and digital content, and other written materials
- Collaborate cross-functionally across the business to communicate key business updates, milestones and events.
- Manage communication partner relationships
- Develop and advance the strategy and message for the CEO and other executive leaders, including speaking engagements, media interviews and media preparation
- Develop and maintain relationships with key media outlets and other stakeholders, including industry groups, regulators, etc.
- Develop and manage a thought leadership program, including media training and prep for appropriate spokespersons
- Develop and proactively tell the firm’s Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance message
- Support execution of executive media engagement programs and speaking engagements; review/draft and approval of supporting materials such as key message documents, Q&A and other briefing materials
- Lead a regular cadence of outreach and education to media and key external stakeholders on issues strategic to the business
- Work closely with the marketing function to enhance the business’s image and position the company as an industry leader in key sectors
- Own and manage company digital and social media channels, including message strategy and paid campaigns
- Train internal business leaders and market-facing staff on methods to use personal social media channels to advance company reputation where relevant
- Provide input into existing executive social media strategies and content planning
- Oversee creative services team and functions to ensure all requested marketing pieces are on-brand and delivered on deadline
- Develop, execute and lead overall internal communications strategy to effectively inform and engage colleagues in advancing the business’s purpose, including managing all internal communication channels, tactics and tools (e.g. intranet, e-newsletters, visible messaging tools, etc.)
- Provide communications counsel and support to executive leadership and department leaders and managers in fostering internal understanding of the business’s purpose and values, and to advance understanding and support of Company goals, priorities and strategies
- Fostering a culture of openness, accountability and collaboration
As with all appointment in this highly people-centric business, candidate profile and chemistry fit is critical, but never more so than for this for this pivotal communications role. Working within a fast-paced, innovative, entrepreneurial environment, attitude is as important as experience. The person is everything. The Head of Communications is instrumental in adding to the tone, energy and culture for the business. The gravity of success is all about having the right attitude, underpinned with demonstrable experience.
Suitable candidates will already be high achieving, communication specialists. They will likely have held a number of roles in Communications, PR, Public Affairs or similar, and possess a track record of personal success. Exposure to, and experience of the Energy sector will make you stand out from the crowd but is not essential.
The appointee will possess a strong ethos in delivery through engagement, strategic planning, an innovative approach, informed collaborative insight, ideation and a ‘do’ not ‘think’ mindset.
They will be people, results and delivery oriented; hands-on and possess the ability to create a sense of mission and attentiveness to current and future requirements and challenges.
They should embrace, and be able to demonstrate the organisation’s Core Values:
Skills & Experience Required:
- Previous experience within a Communications Lead / Manager position responsible for both external and internal communications, preferably both B2B and B2C
- Degree level qualification in Marketing or Communications
- Previously worked in a leadership capacity creating communications plans and strategies
- Experience in external and internal events, including virtual
- Experience of PR and promotional activities
- Able to design engaging communications for key activities
- Highly creative and able to deliver engaging content
- Confident communication style
- Collaborative, adaptive and engaging
The appointee will constantly strive for excellence and demonstrate personal drive and resilience, with a mature and experienced approach to both growth, and set-backs. They will be self-motivated & able to work on their own initiative whilst putting team and company needs before own and possess the ability to think flexibly and laterally.
The successful candidate will have creative and innovative ability and desire, and be hugely excited by a very high paced environment, thick with USPs – their operational leadership strength will be underpinned by a real “Just Do It” attitude, and a sense of humour.